Saturday, May 30, 2009

This month's BQL challenge....


This month the challenge involved doing a trapunto piece.It measures about 12" x 12". I'm afraid that I didn't really get a good photo here but as I had just uploaded it to the group site I thought it would be a good idea to post here at the same time. Originally I didn't really feel that I got a good definition around my 'puffy' bunnies so I stem stitched around the outline to help. That brought the design out a bit more. Another part of the challenge is to improve our free motion quilting. I am getting there but would like to get a more even arrangement.
I used one of my favourite fabrics this time - it's a Lakehouse fabric with embossed spots. It's one of those fabrics you just want to use in everything. When it came to the binding I wasn't sure and then I remembered that I had both the pink and blue Lakehouse rabbit fabric which also has embossing as well. I had enough to do the binding in either colour but I decided to do it scrappy. Unfortunately you can't see much of the bunnies in the binding.
The idea each month is to challenge us to try new ideas. While I don't always love the task at hand it certainly is achieving the goal of pushing me outside of my comfort zone.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You've done a great job! I've never attempted anything like that ever. It's great that the group is stretching your abilities and teaching you new things! Well done!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Lynda that is fantastic, I would love to have a go at that, well done.

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous Lynda..... Love the bunnies.

Abby and Stephanie said...

I've not tried trapunto. It's beautiful!

Shari said...

Good on you for trying new things! This looks good.

Bec said...

WOW! How cool is that! and with bunnies too.... What a great idea having your group make monthly challenges.